Tsukuda Sumiyoshi Jinja Shrine
Tsukuda Sumiyoshi Jinja (佃住吉神社) is a Shinto shrine located in the Tsukuda district next to the Tsukishima area.
Tsukuda district still maintains somewhat nostalgic atmosphere. The whole area around Tsukuda used to be mudflat until the early 17th century. Fishermen who came from Osaka constructed Tsukuda Island here to build their houses, and founded Tsukuda Sumiyoshi Shrine in 1646 as the spiritual guardian of the island. The channel running on the north and east side of the shrine is the trail of the sea which surrounded the isle.
Sumiyoshi shrines are dedicated to sea gods. There are many Sumiyoshi shrines in Japan, and most of them can be traced back to Sumiyoshi Taisha Shrine in Osaka.Tsukuda Sumiyoshi Shrine is a 6-minute walk from Tsukishima Station of the Tokyo Metro Yurakucho Line or the Toei Oedo Line
Haiden is where you offer prayers. It was constructed in 1870.
Honden is where the divinities are enshrined. It is a post-war reconstruction. Heiden connects Haiden and Honden.
This warehouse, created in 1910, was used for storing the mikoshi (portable shrine). It's made of brick though with a traditional Japanese style.
Kaguraden is where music is offered during festivals. It was built in 1923.
This used to be the channel dividing Tsukuda Island and Ishikawajima Island in the Edo period, and both ends of the channel were connected to the sea. The two islands were artificially created in the Edo period.
Tsukuda Matsuri is the Reitaisai (Annual Grand Festival) of Tsukuda Sumiyoshi Shrine. It is held from the end of July to the beginning of August, and fully conducted every three years.
Access: 6-min walk from Tsukishima Station of the Tokyo Metro Yurakucho Line or the Toei Oedo Line