This is part five of the six entries about Edo Castle.
In this article, about Kitanomaru Park, the northernmost part of Edo Castle, will be described.
- Part 1: Outline of Edo Castle
- Part 2: Kokyo Gaien, Wadakura Funsui Koen
- Part 3: Kokyo Higashi Gyoen
- Part 4: the Imperial Palace, Inui Street
- Part 5: Kitanomaru Koen (this page)
- Part 6: Outer moats
Kitanomaru Park, or Kitanomaru Koen (北の丸公園), was where two very close relatives of Tokugawa Shogun family lived at the time the Edo period ended. These two were of the three families founded in the mid-Edo period to provide successor for the post of Shogun in case the Shogun family itself had no heir.
Though there are almost nothing left inside the park, the moats, stone walls and earth ramparts surrounding the park remain, together with two massive gates.
Nippon Budokan was originally constructed as the Judo competition hall for 1964 Tokyo Olympic Games. Its octagonal appearance is modeled after renowned Buddhist architecture Yumedono of Horyuji Temple in Nara. It is now also famous as a concert hall.
This western-style lantern belongs to Yasukuni Shrine across the road. It was constructed in 1871, and in those days it is said that it was able to be seen from the sea.
The former headquarters of the Imperial Guard, completed in 1910, is at present the Crafts Gallery of the National Museum of Modern Art, Tokyo, though the gallery is to be moved to Kanazawa City someday.
It is now an ordinary park inside and there's nothing to see except for what I've already mentioned.
As for public facilities, other than above-mentioned Nippon Budokan and Crafts Gallery, there are the National Museum of Modern Art, Tokyo [Official English website], the Science Museum [Official English website], and the National Archives of Japan [Official English website].
The passage along the Chidorigafuchi Moat is, together with adjoining Yasukuni Shrine, one of the most notable hanami (viewing of cherry blossoms) spot in Tokyo. See the article on the Chiyoda no Sakura Matsuri for details.