The Japan Folk Crafts Museum
The Japan Folk Crafts Museum (日本民藝館, Nihon Mingei-kan) is a private museum founded in 1936 by Yanagi Soetsu (1889-1961).
Yanagi was the central figure of the mingei (folk craft) movement in those days, and this facility was established to bolster this movement.
(Its rating of 7/10 is about its exterior only.)
It's a 7-min walk from Keio Inokashira Line Komaba-Todai-mae Station.
Designed by Yanagi, the Main Hall was completed in 1936.
The West Hall used to be the residence of Yanagi Soetsu. The gate, created in the Meiji Era, was relocated from Tochigi Prefecture.
The house building of the West Hall was created in 1935 based on Yanagi's design.
4-3-33 Komaba, Meguro-ku, Tokyo MAP
Access: 7-min walk from Keio Inokashira Line Komaba-Todai-mae Station
Area guide around this site