Kyu-Shiba-rikyu Gardens, or Kyu-Shiba Rikyu Onshi Teien (旧芝離宮恩賜庭園), is a Japanese stroll garden created in the late 17th century in a land which was reclaimed from the sea.
It was constructed as the garden of the primary Edo residence of Okubo Tadatomo, a lord who ruled Karatsu Domain in modern-day Saga Prefecture at the time he obtained this land, and was one of the highest ranking officials in Tokugawa shogunate.
It changed hands several times between clans through the Edo period, and when the feudal times ended, it became the residence of Prince Arisugawa for a few years, and subsequently became a villa (Shiba-rikyu) of the imperial family. In 1924 it was given to Tokyo City, which corresponds to the present 23 wards of Tokyo, and was opened to the public.
As a garden which faced Tokyo Bay directly in the past, it used to take in sea water to enjoy the changes of the scenery the tide caused in those days, but since it's far from the seashore now, unlike nearby Hamarikyu Gardens, this feature is no longer functioning.
1-4-1 Kaigan, Minato-ku, Tokyo MAP
Nearest station: JR Hamamatsucho Sta.