Yogyokuin Nyoraiji Temple
Yogyokuin Nyoraiji (養玉院如来寺) is a Tendai Buddhist temple which is an 8-minute walk from Toei Asakusa Line Nishimagome Station, or a 10-minute walk from JR Yokosuka Line Nishioi Station.
Yogyokuin and Nyoraiji were different temple until they merged into one in 1923. Nyoraiji was founded in the first half of the 17th century in present-day Minato-ku and moved over here in 1908. Yogyokuin was founded in 1635 in modern-day Taito-ku and was relocated here in 1923, and it was on this occasion that these two temples were consolidated.
This middle-sized temple is neatly maintained and has five pretty large statues of Buddha.
Kyakuden, created in 1923, is the guest house. Hondo is the main hall, which was built in 1923.
Amidado is relatively new. It is dedicated to Amida Nyorai.
Myoohdo is also relatively new. It enshrines Fudomyooh.
Nyoraido, also called Zuioden, was constructed in the Edo period in Minato-ku and was relocated here in 1907, though its appearance is significantly modified.
Placed in Nyoraido are the statues of Gochi Nyorai. Gochi Nyorai are five Buddhist divinities: Dainichi Nyorai, Shaka Nyorai, Amida Nyorai, Hosho Nyorai, and Yakushi Nyorai.
The gravestones of two clan lords from the Edo period are also relocated here in the back.