Kichijoji (吉祥寺) is a Soto Zen Buddhist temple founded in 1458. In the Edo period, an academic institute of Soto Buddhism was placed here, which eventually developed into present-day Komazawa University. Of the wooden structures which were situated here before WWII, only the Sanmon gate and Kyozo (storage to house sutras) remain.
In the cemetery located to the north of Hondo (main hall), there remain the tombs of a few Daimyo (domain lord) families erected in the Edo period. As land is precious in modern Tokyo, feudal lords are often reburied in much smaller graves nowadays. That is the same with here at Kichijoji, and already several Daimyo families' graveyards was scaled-down, but still a few families retain tombs built in the feudal times.
It's a 4-min walk from Tokyo Metro Namboku Line Honkomagome Station, or a 9-min walk from Toei Mita Line Hakusan Station.
The Sanmon gate, or the main gate, was erected in 1802.
This Statue of Buddha was created in 1722.
Kyozo, constructed in 1804, is where sutras are stored.
Hondo, or the main hall, is a post-war reconstruction made with concrete.
Kaizando is where the monk who founded this temple is enshrined. This is also a post-war building made with concrete.