Founded in 850, Myofukuji (妙福寺) is a somewhat large Nichiren Buddhist temple with a well-maintained grounds.
It is a 10-minute walk from Seibu Ikebukuro Line Oizumi-gakuen Station. This area is effectively a suburban area in the northwestern part of former Tokyo City (now 23 wards of Tokyo).
Somon, or the first gate, is the entrance to the temple grounds.
Niomon is the gate which houses a pair of the statues of guardian divinity Nio under its roof.
Shoro is a tower hanging a huge bell to tell time. Kishimojindo is dedicated to goddess Kishimojin.
Soshido is the hall which enshrines sect founder Nichiren.
Hondo, built in 1866, is the main hall.
Kuri is the residence of the temple monks. It was completed in sometime around 1701.