Kaiunji Temple (海雲寺), founded in 1251, is a Soto Zen temple which is 2 minutes to the east of Keikyu Line Aomono-yokocho Station. It is located at the southern end of the former post station area of Shinagawa.
This temple is known for enshrining Sanpo-kojin, the protector of kitchen furnaces.
The Sanmon is the main gate of the temple.
The Shoro is the bell tower. It was erected in the early 20th century. The small building next to it enshrines Ususama Myooh, which is often worshiped as the guardian of bathrooms.
The Hondo is the main hall of the temple. It enshrines Juichimen Kannon.
The Sentaikojindo next to the Hondo is dedicated to Sanpo-kojin. Sanpo-kojin, often briefly called Kojin, is a Buddhist deity which originated in Japan and is widely worshipped as the guardian of kitchens and their furnaces.
The Sentaikojindo is composed of the Haiden, Heiden and Honden. You offer prayers at the Haiden to the statue of Sanpo-kojin placed at the Honden, and the Heiden connects these two.
On the ceiling of the Haiden of the Sentaikojindo, pictures of matoi (flag symbols of the firefighters of the Edo period) are drawn. Those firefighters wished to be protected from fire.
This is what it's like to see the Sentaikojindo from the south side.