Horinouchi Myohoji Temple
Horinouchi Myohoji (堀之内妙法寺) is a relatively large Nichiren Buddhist temple in the western part of the 23 wards of Tokyo. It's an 11-minute walk from Shin-Koenji Station, or a 13-minute walk from Higashi Koenji Station, both of which are along the Tokyo Metro Marunouchi Line.
It used to be a Shingon Buddhist temple at first but was converted into a Nichiren temple in the early 17th century.
This temple managed to avoid being destroyed in the Second World War and many of its buildings were built in the feudal times.
Niomon, or Sanmon, is the main gate of this temple erected in 1787.
Under its roof stand two figures of guardian deities Nioh (aka Kongo Rikishi).
Soshido is an edifice dedicated to sect founder Nichiren (1222-1282). It was completed in 1812.
There are three statues of Oni on the left, right, and back side of the roof of Soshido. The Oni is generally thought to be an imaginary evil creature, but here, they are protecting the building.
Tetsumon, which means the "iron gate," was created in 1878. It is a half-Japanese-half-Western gate which was designed by Josiah Conder (1852-1920), who is a famous British architect in Japan. This gate is listed as an Important Cultural Property.
Gakudo, constructed in 1814, is the building where a number of large ema pictures are on display.
Hondo, the main hall, was constructed in 1819. Though this is the main hall, it's far smaller than Soshido.
Nicchodo, built in 1828, enshrines Niccho (1422-1500), a monk who contributed a lot to the sect.
Nijusanyasondo was constructed in 1878.
Goju-no-sekito is a five-storied stone pagoda erected in 1860.