Zoshigaya Kishimojindo Temple
Zoshigaya Kishimojindo (雑司ケ谷鬼子母神堂), founded in 1578, is a Shinto-shrine-like Buddhist temple which enshrines Kishimojin, a goddess which originated in India and is the protector of deliveries and nurturing of children. This temple's present complex was built in the Edo period and is listed as an Important Cultural Property.
It's an 8-min walk from Tokyo Metro Yurakucho Line Zoshigaya Station or Toden Arakawa Line Kishimojinmae Station.
Two small stone statues of Nio stand at the entrance (though you can't see them in this photo). There used to stand a Torii Gate here also in the Edo period but was removed when Buddhism and Shintoism was seperated forcefully by the state in the late 19th century.
Haiden, created in 1700, is where you offer prayers to goddess Kishmojin. Wooden ema pictures depicting pomegranate fruit, which is the symbol of this divinity, are hung in the entrance of this building after people wrote down their wishes.
Honden, constructed in 1664, is the very building Kishimojin is enshrined. Haiden and Honden is connected with Heiden which was built in 1700. These are effectively the same kind of buildings with a Shinto shrine.
Myokendo, placed behind Honden of Kishimojindo, was erected in 1788. Enshrined here is Myoken Bosatsu, a Buddhist god embodying the North Star or Triones. Ema pictures hung here are earthenware with a symbol representing Triones.
The Oeshiki of Zoshigaya Kishimojindo is a large festival held from the 16th to 18th of October every year. The Oeshiki is an event held at Nichiren Buddhist temples to commemorate the death of sect founder Nichiren. For details about this event, see the article on the Oeshiki at Zoshigaya Kishimojindo.
Homyoji Temple (法明寺) is a Nichiren Buddhist temple nearby Zoshigaya Kishimojindo.
It is said to be founded in 810 and is in charge of Zoshigaya Kishimojindo. Unlike Zoshigaya Kishimojindo, it couldn't survive the war, and the present temple complex is post-war reconstruction.
Iko Inari is the guardian of Homyoji Temple. Its entrance is to the northwest of the temple.